The Willard Suitcases
A photography project documenting suitcases left behind in the Willard Psychiatric Center in upstate New York will be on display during the month of October:
- October 7 – 20: The Mahler Fine Art Gallery, 228 Fayetteville St, Raleigh, NC 27601
- October 3 – 30: The Busy Bee Cafe, 225 S Wilmington St.
Raleigh, NC 27601
Presentations will begin at 1 pm, Sunday October 16
- UNC Professor Fitzhugh Brundage: How communities remember.
- Mebane Rash: Putting Dorothea Dix Hospital in historical context.
- Photographer Jon Crispin: The Willard Suitcases
- Lives on the Hill oral history project: Video highlights.
- Community dialogue: What should a Dorothea Dix Hospital memorial be?
All these presentations will be broadcast and streamed by UNC TV on the NC Channel!
To get to the Talley Student Center:
The Talley Center is located at 352 Cates Ave. and is accessible by bus and by car.
From Moore Square Station, you can take the Number 11 bus, which stops about 200 ft from the Talley Center.
Or you can take the Number 100 or the Number 4 bus, both of which stop on Hillsborough St. From there it’s about a 20 minute walk across campus to the Talley Center.
From Western Blvd, turn onto Pullen Rd. Left onto Dunn Ave (one way) and left onto Jeter Dr. to turn into the parking deck.
From Hillsborough St, turn onto Pullen Rd at the traffic circle near the clock tower. Continue on Pullen past the small traffic circle. Right onto Dunn Ave (one way) and left onto Jeter Dr. to turn into the parking deck.